Re: Building GTK programs without installing systemd-sysv?

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 01:53:32PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Adam Borowski writes ("Re: Building GTK programs without installing systemd-sysv?"):
> > On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 01:47:47PM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> > > You want dbus-x11 instead of dbus-user-session then, I think.
> >
> > For this and related issues, I wonder if it would be better to replace the
> > virtual package pair of {default-,}dbus-session-bus with a real dummy
> > package that has:
> > Depends: dbus-x11 | systemd-sysv, dbus-user-session | dbus-x11
> >
> > This would pull in dbus-user-session for systemd users, dbus-x11 for any
> > other init.
> >
> > (The idea might be bogus -- I haven't slept since Monday morning; anyone up
> > for beersigning near Frankfurt airport until late evening?)

> Obviously it's slightly a bodge but these kind of issues involving
> dbus-user-session seem common enough that it would probably be worth
> doing this as a workaround, if it would be effective.  (Which it seems
> like it probably would be.)
>
> Adam, have you tested this (on both systemd and sysvinit systems) ?

Alas, not yet -- I've barely returned from Brazil, and my TODO list is
bursting at seams.  Might be good to get feedback first, as talk is cheap.

There are also two separate issues:
* apt failing to find a solution, despite it existing
* functionality of both dbus implementations

For now, we can fix the first part quite easily.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian is one big family.  Including that weird uncle