Re: salsa.debian.org partially down

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 16 Aug 2019, gregor herrmann wrote:
> > From what I know, this what not a "foolish user action" but an action
> > by a dedicated maintainer who enabled salsa-ci for all packages
> > ("projects") of a specific team; so they used a service advertised by
> > the salsa and salsa-ci teams. That this service doesn't work as
> > advertised or at least doesn't work for the amount of packages a
> > medium-sized team might have is deplorable and needs some action but
> > I don't see any reason for calling this action itself foolish.
>
> +1
>
> FWIW, I did the same for Kali linux on 500 packages which are
> hosted on https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/packages/ and it generated that many
> pipelines as well without any significant issue.
>
> Obviously, gitlab.com has certainly much more resources behind it
> than salsa but I believe that we should be able to just do that without
> bringing salsa to its knees. It's quite common to do mass-update to many
> repositories with "mr" and that would generate just as many pipelines
> too.
>
> I understand that the Salsa admins will have to find ways to grow the
> available resources and so far they did a very good job on this level,
> (except the part where they always express their grumpyness in a way that
> is hostile to many users) so I'm confident that they will find solutions.
>
> They already moved most of the work to external Google VM to make the service
> scale (at the start it was running entirely on the few dedicated
> runners). Same for storage of many artifacts/log files.
>
> When we looked into replacing FusionForge, GitLab was not necessarily
> their preference (at least for formorer IIRC) but they listened to the
> feedback from DD on this level and it's pretty clear (at least to me)
> that the GitLab CI features are the reason why many DD voted for GitLab.
>
> So, indeed, we should not blame users because they enable CI, we selected
> GitLab because of those features.
>
> In summary: thank you Salsa admins and keep up the good work! (And try to be
> less grumpy)
I am a bit surprised, from the first day on we said that there are limited
ressources for ci and that you should be nice to the service. Thats even
documented:

"We mean that. Really. Be nice to the server. At some point in the future we hope to add some dedicated Runners servers - Sponsors welcome! ;)"

And we mean it that way, so don't be surprised if we tell you that you
overload things. We are always improving things, but anyhow, there are
limits - as it is for every other service within debian.

So please, please don't tell me what you expect and so on. Just be happy that
it works so well.

Alex