Re: salsa.debian.org partially down

Am Freitag, den 16.08.2019, 08:58 +0200 schrieb Alexander Wirt:
> On Fri, 16 Aug 2019, gregor herrmann wrote:

[..]
> > From what I know, this what not a "foolish user action" but an action
> > by a dedicated maintainer who enabled salsa-ci for all packages
> > ("projects") of a specific team; so they used a service advertised by
> > the salsa and salsa-ci teams. That this service doesn't work as
> > advertised or at least doesn't work for the amount of packages a
> > medium-sized team might have is deplorable and needs some action but
> > I don't see any reason for calling this action itself foolish.
>
> All our services have somewhat limited ressources and need to work for all
> developers. To be honest: I do expect from everyone, using any of our
> (debian) services, to think before doing things like that. Be it sending a
> few thousand mails to our mailing lists, creating a few thousand jobs on
> salsa, uploading a few thousand packages, creating a few thousand bugs.

I'm with Gregor on this one. I can expect our services not to be forced into
their knees, just be increasing the workload (hint: queue).

Gitlab has a configuration to limit how many jobs can be run concurrently. The
user's action might not have been optimal, but it has shown, that the current
setting is not optimal either. So I think it's best, not to blame the user, but
adjust our Gitlab configuration, announce the changes, point out how to skip
pipelines [1] and move on.

[1] https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/ci/yaml/#skipping-jobs

Regards, Daniel