Re: Building GTK programs without installing systemd-sysv?

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 20:51:36 +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> I discovered that using the second alternative for *conf
> worked: put this into /etc/apt/preferences:
>
> Package: dconf-gsettings-backend
> Pin: version *
> Pin-Priority: -1
>
> This will cause gconf-gsettings-backend to be used during
> the build instead, which does not depend on systemd-sysv.

This seems like a bug in gconf-gsettings-backend. gconf versions since
2012 need a D-Bus session bus just as much as dconf does: they have a
similar architecture (clients use D-Bus to talk to a server that handles
writes, to provide change notification and avoid write conflicts),
except that GConf stores many tiny XML files and has a lot more D-Bus
round-trips (because in GConf, reads are also done via D-Bus).

I suspect gconf-gsettings-backend should probably not have Provides
on gconf-backend, since it won't be used unless you specifically ask
for it with GSETTINGS_BACKEND=gconf (because GConf is obsolete, and
automatically storing settings in it would invite apparent data loss
when you install dconf-gsettings-backend, GLib prefers that one, and
the settings in GConf are no longer read) so the practical effect is
that your settings are probably not stored.

    smcv