Re: ML-Policy and tesseract-ocr

* Mo Zhou <lumin@debian.org> [190812 10:31]:
> To this end, I wrote the policy #5 [3]:
>
>    A package that includes a machine learning model, must also include
>    the corresponding training program, or depend on the package that
> provides
>    the corresponding training program.
>
> Does that make sense? If it looks good, then the solution
> for this bug is already obvious enough.

Perhaps I am not interpreting what you are saying correctly, but I would
say it is wrong.  The corresponding training program must be packaged in
Debian, but it seems unlikely that there would be a binary package
dependency from the model (result of running the training program with
specific input data, if I understand correctly?) to the training
program.  The source package would need to Build-Depend on the training
program and its inputs, but in general there would not need to be a
normal Depends.

Perhaps you were just being sloppy about Build-Depends vs Depends, but
when writing policy it is important to be very specific about that.

...Marvin