Re: Bypassing the 2/3/4GB virtual memory space on 32-bit ports

On Fri, 2019-08-09 at 00:28 +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> On 2019-08-08 22:23, Ben Hutchings wrote:
[...]
> > 1a. Require 32-bit build environments to be multiarch with the
> >     related 64-bit architecture also enabled.
>
> Indeed, but that looks like the first step. From there do you think
> a) the package is responsible for build-depending on the 64-bit
>    toolchain and calling it with the right option to generate 32-bit
>    binaries?
> or
> b) the build environment should be already configured to make the
>    64-bit toolchain available transparently
>
> I had option b) in mind, but option a) looks way easier to implement on
> the infrastructure side, although a bit less on the packaging side. It
> can also be a first step towards b).

Yes - if relatively few packages are hitting the limits, I think it
makes sense to implement (a) in the short term fix for them, then work
on (b) as the longer term solution.

> In that case we should also make
> sure that using a 64-bit compiler doesn't switch the package build
> system to a cross-compilation mode, where notably the testsuite is
> disabled.

Right.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If you seem to know what you are doing, you'll be given more to do.