Re: tag2upload (git-debpush) service architecture - draft

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> if creating a source package is fast and reproducible, could the dgit
> user commit the signed .dsc file somewhere, and the dgit infrastructure
> use it and throw an error if the hash sums do not match ?

A difficulty with using the .dsc file as a signed artifact if you want to
base the upload on a Git repository is that a .dsc file points to
compressed tarballs, which means now you have to solve the problem of
recreating a compressed tarball from a Git repository in a byte-for-byte
identical way.  Past experience with pristine-tar says that this is more
fragile than we would like, and is prone to trouble if there are differing
versions of tar or the compression utility in play.

Admittedly, the tag2upload problem is much easier than the pristine-tar
problem because we're not trying to cope with arbitrary upstream tar
creation, but I suspect the ongoing maintenance burden (and random failure
rate) would be higher than the current proposal.