Re: do packages depend on lexical order or {daily,weekly,monthly} cron jobs?

On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 at 20:14:22 +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> Scripts with such dependencies will probably fail miserably on systems
> that are using systemd-cron instead of one of the "classic" cron
> packaes

I thought so too, but they don't: systemd-cron uses run-parts for
cron.{hourly,etc.} too. It only generates individual, parallelizable
systemd timers for scripts in cron.d, which in general run on their own
independent schedules anyway.

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 at 08:47:49 +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> Setting RandomizeDelaySecs sufficiently high on our daily jobs would
> probably help to chop off the load pike that especially virtualization
> setups running many Debian instances suffer from at 06:25 or 07:35. I
> think this could be a net gain worth pursuing.

If you want this, the way to opt-in to it is currently to add a native
systemd timer, and make the traditional cron script a no-op on systems
running systemd (to avoid doing the periodic task twice). For example,
apt and man-db have both done this.

    smcv