Re: unsigned repositories

Hallo,
* Sam Hartman [Sun, Jul 14 2019, 02:07:55PM]:

>     Eduard> Hallo, * Sam Hartman [Sun, Jul 14 2019, 08:46:18AM]:
>     >> >>>>> "Julian" == Julian Andres Klode <jak@debian.org> writes:
>     >>
>     >> Please carefully consider uses of apt besides the system level
>     >> apt running as root installing packages on the system.
>     >>
>     >> What about when I use the apt libraries to explore some
>     >> repository and parse its packages files etc.  Asking people to go
>     >> set up the keys for some of these use cases seems like a lot of
>     >> work.
>
>     Eduard> IMHO this could and should be mitigated. I.e. give people a
>     Eduard> tool they can work with without studying rocket science,
>     Eduard> following the spirit of letsencrypt etc., which handles the
>     Eduard> snakeoil key handling in a lazy way.
>
> Most of the repository generation tools these days do a fairly good job
> of signing the release file.

I am looking at this from the POV of a regular/lazy user. The next best
tool here is apt-ftparchive. Does it help you with signing? No. Does its
manpage even mention InRelease signing in any way? Not really.

Therefore, the critical voices in this thread are right - too early to
enforce strict signing.

> What I'm more worried about is configuring the client apt library in
> cases where you are using it for things other than the main apt instance
> on the system.

Understood, but what's the plan? Shouldn't this be another part of the
apt-secure manpage? Showing the user configuration examples for the few
main usecases?

Best regards,
Eduard.