Re: Apt-secure and upgrading to bullseye

Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org> writes:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 12:31:51PM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
>> Hooray, buster's released!  Congrats to all!
>>
>> So I tried upgrading my machine to bullseye today, and
>> aptitude/apt-get update don't like this, giving me errors such as:
>>
>> E: Repository 'http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian testing InRelease' changed its 'Codename' value from 'buster' to 'bullseye'
>> N: This must be accepted explicitly before updates for this repository can be applied. See apt-secure(8) manpage for details.
>>
>> So I read apt-secure(8), which gives no indication of how to "accept
>> this explicitly", and neither do any of the linked wiki pages.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> (And obviously something needs changing so that people aren't stung
>> when bullseye is released.)
>
> Ah, turns out it's a known bug with aptitude.  The solution is to run
> "apt update", which interactively asks what to do with these changes.

If it's any comfort, I had the exact same problem.

It would be nice if the warning either pointed to the apt-get(8) man
page, where the solution can be found, or some hint was added to the
apt-secure(8) man page.

I found this section of the apt-secure(8) man page particularily
unhelpful:

  Since version 1.5 the user must therefore explicitly confirm changes
  to signal that the user is sufficiently prepared e.g. for the new
  major release of the distribution shipped in the repository (as
  e.g. indicated by the codename).

Those who cares which version this was added will read the changelog.
Those reading the man page are more likely looking for instructions, not
background info.

Bjørn