Re: Survey results: git packaging practices / repository format

Hello Enrico,

On Sun 30 Jun 2019 at 11:03PM +02, Enrico Zini wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 09:18:11AM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
>
>> I think it would be helpful for both of us to describe ways in which you
>> find that there are objectivity problems that would get in the way of
>> presenting the data in that context.
>>
>> I think especially at that bof we'd like to avoid people feeling that
>> some practice that they cared about was mischaracterized or
>> misrepresented.
>>
>> Yet we kind of need one person to give a short presentation to get it
>> into something that can fit into a bof.
>>
>> So any help you can provide pointing at things that seem too subjective
>> would be appreciated.
>
> Trying to unpack my gut feelings, I think the current table intermixes
> the presentation of a taxonomy work to Debian as a whole, with an
> iteration of dgit design work.
>
> I'm currently not concerned with dgit[1], and I'm curious to see a
> mapping of the complex landscape that is Debian in this regard. When I
> read the table, I see "best practice" links that point to dgit
> documentation and a "comments" column with judgemental words like
> "clumsy", "competent", "avoid". Those are getting in the way of my
> attempt to look at the landscape.
>
> I'd like to be able to look at the landscape first, and take it in, and
> then, as a separate step, see what the dgit maintainers, whose opinion I
> actually very much respect, are making of it.

This is useful and well-structured feedback, thank you.

I think that what we want is the current table, with a way to show/hide
the last two columns, and have them be hidden by default.  ISTM that
achieves everything wanted.

We would need to move off the Debian wiki to achieve that, but I think
that is a price worth paying, given the other footnote and CSS issues
with the current wiki page.  We could put the source in a repo writeable
by all DDs on salsa, so we wouldn't be giving up too much by moving off
the wiki.

Then we'd use GitLab pages or similar to publish it.

On Sun 30 Jun 2019 at 10:44PM +02, Enrico Zini wrote:

> I'd say that seeding the wiki with pages for each branch formats could
> both provide a link to details to take some load off the big table, and
> create a space where the rest of the documentation can grow.

This could remain on the Debian Wiki or also move to salsa.

--
Sean Whitton