Re: Survey: git packaging practices / repository format

On 02.06.19 00:57, Ian Jackson wrote:

Hi,

> The difficulty with this as a collaboration approach is that you can't
> tell whether a rebase is "the newest", at least without a lot of
> additional information.  That additional information is the "clutter"
> if you like which the "cleaner" history doesn't contain.

Depends on what you actually call "new".

I think for each supported upstream version there should be a separate
maintenance branch (we can track the maintenance status in some other
place, maybe some extra metadata branch). These individual branches are
never rebased, just created once on the corresponding upstream tag.
(well, there could be extra devel branches that indeed are rebased on
upstream's master, but that has to be explicitly communicated)

> Both git-debrebase and git-dpm use a special history structure to
> record what the most recent rebase is.  Obviously I prefer
> git-debrebase since I wrote it - using a different data model - even
> after I knew about git-dpm and its data model.  But maybe this isn't
> the thread for that advocacy conversation.

What exactly does this tool do ?

--mtx

--
Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult