Re: Let's consider using year based release identifiers [was: Re: getting rid of "testing"]

Hello,

On 30/06/2019 06:53, Alf Gaida wrote:
>>> It will confuse me because in 2021 I will expect release 2021 .
>>> Furthermore, will .7 stand for July ?
>> I assume it's about point releases (which, again, Ubuntu doesn't do
>> AFAIK).
>>
> The keyword will be education - i wrote some times ago: Let people use wht they are happy with - it will take a blog entry or two to let users know what 20xy.z means - i can't resist and bring it to the point:
>
> If there will be a release 2020.0 and 2020.1 - and there will be release notes - do we really assume our users are to dumb to get it???

I assume that users can understand the current codename scheme used in Debian.
And I found it funny when I read for the first time the explanation on the website (there was no blog at this glorious time).

If order is a question (which version comes before the other one), we can impose that the first letter of the codenames
must fellow the alphabetic order.

Jerome

--
Jerome BENOIT | calculus+at-rezozer^dot*net
https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=calculus@rezozer.net