Re: Content Rating System in Debian

Bagas Sanjaya <bagasdotme@gmail.com> writes:

> Based on above, what are your opinions/thoughts/positions about Content
> Rating System in Debian?

It sounds like a whole ton of work to get a useful amount of coverage (not
to mention bothering upstreams with questionnaires that I suspect many of
them would find irritating -- I certainly would with my upstream hat on),
and I'm not clear on the benefit.  Do you have some reason to believe that
this is a common request by users of Debian?  If so, could you share with
us why you believe that?

Debian already has a couple of voluntary labeling mechanisms that, while
not precisely relevant to this, are at least adjacent: debtags for general
package tagging (see the junior tag root, for instance, and name-based
labeling of packages with potentially offensive content per

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-binary.html#packages-with-potentially-offensive-content

Both of those are nowhere near as comprehensive as CRS, of course, but
it's not clear to me that something as comprehensive as CRS has enough
demand to be worth the effort, and there's obviously a maintenance burden
incurred by using it.

It's probably worth noting, though, that if any group felt strongly enough
about CRS to do the work, I don't see any obvious reason why debtags
couldn't handle a set of CRS tags, which has the huge advantage of not
requiring any work by the package maintainer and instead shifting the
burden to the people who care about CRS.