Re: The Difference between debcheckout and dgit and what they try to accomplish

Hello,

On Wed 19 Jun 2019 at 11:51pm +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 11:47:38AM +0100, Sean Whitton wrote:
>> We could try to write a tool which tries to guess and convert (e.g.) the
>> dgit view with your changes into a maintainer workflow, but there are
>> large obstacles to this working reliably.  For example, there exist edge
>> cases such that there is no algorithm which can determine, for any
>> possible Debian source package tree committed to git, whether it is
>> patches-applied or patches-unapplied.  And there are so many small
>> variations on workflows that such a tool would have to be very complex.
>
> What if you took away the necessary guesswork?
>
> Have dgit support a field in debian/control that, if it exists, explains
> to dgit (and any other tool that might care) what the workflow type is.
> This would require a categorization of all the possible git layouts, and
> would initially obviously not support all of them.
>
> But once it exists, it would allow behaviour for a hypothetical "dgit
> create-merge-request" command or some such, where if the field exists in
> debian/control a merge request is posted to salsa in the correct
> fashion; and if the field does *not* exist in debian/control, it would
> then instead simply be a wrapper around 'git format-patch' and/or 'git
> send-email'.
>
> This would, as an aside, also allow maintainers to express that they
> would prefer merge requests in salsa over patches in the bts, so would
> have use beyond dgit.

This is a cool idea.  I'd just like to note that I don't think we would
want it to be in any way dgit-specific or labelled with 'dgit', and
`dgit create-merge-request` would probably be better something in
devscripts than a dgit subcommand.

dgit it meant to be only for interoperation between git and the
archive.  If this metadata has uses beyond that, it should not be
labelled 'dgit'.

--
Sean Whitton