Re: @debian.org mail

Am 04.06.19 um 17:51 schrieb Graham Inggs:

I would certainly make use of SMTP for sending @debian.org email. I can't see the advantage of IMAP over forwarding though, would you explain how you see it working, or who would use it?

I wouldn't need IMAP either. But for those who are stuck with gmail, hotmail, gmx and the like Debian hosted IMAP servers would mean they also get a chance to _receive_ all Debian email. Email from @debian.org to these email domains is currently rejected outright (IPv6 & gmail, Tencent brands) or often ends up in /Spam (IPv4 & gmail, many other "free" email providers). We can assume with an updated SMTP setup that situation will improve significantly but probably not to a 100%. We run mailing lists without sender address rewrite and ARC isn't there yet. But if we run IMAP, too, we can simply ensure delivery today (and in the future).

So having a submission host (SMTP) and a matching SPF policy solves the sending side of the problem, Debian-hosted secure IMAP the receiving side.

Supporting ARC* will eventually help keep mailing lists and bugs.d.o functional (for non-Debian-hosted email aka our users) when "the big players" ratchet up their anti-spam measures further. But that's, by my very subjective personal estimate, another few years down the line.

I'd probably add Debian hosted webmail, too. It's trivial to add and some people seem to need it as they spend their day jobs behind very restrictive firewalls.

* see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authenticated_Received_Chain for an explanation. That also explains quite well why plain DKIM / DMARC is hard to implement without serious side-effects.