Re: @debian.org mail

On 2019/06/03 10:40, Daniel Lange wrote:
> Mail submitted from DD's private IPs frequently gets flagged as spam
> regardless of content by all three big players and - if submitted via
> IPv6 - refused directly by Google. Microsoft and Yahoo still run their
> MXs IPv4 only. But we can expect a similar policy once they add IPv6
> SMTPs at scale. And they won't warn us up-front.
> The missing SPF record mentioned above means there is a lot of spam
> circulating with @debian.org fake senders and obviously our open
> addresses also fan out quite some spam. So we're not the best netizens
> we could be.
>
> To do better, we should really offer SMTP submission/IMAP services for
> @debian.org as soon as possible and - after a grace period - publish a
> mx -all SPF record.

I think you make a good case for offering SMTP, and that's very
beneficial to a lot of people. IMAP is a whole nother case in terms of
the kind of sustained work it requires and I'm unconvinced that it would
be at all worth it.

I have little sympathy for people who say "but I use gmail", there's
literally a 1000 better mail services on the Internet that they could
use without having to set up their own, and the good reasons not to use
google services keep rapidly piling up.

-Jonathan

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jcc>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer - https://wiki.debian.org/highvoltage