Re: Bits from /me: A humble draft policy on "deep learning v.s. freedom"

On Fri, 2019-05-24 at 03:14 -0700, Mo Zhou wrote:

> Non-free nvidia driver is inevitable.
> AMD GPUs and OpenCL are not sane choices.

So no model which cannot be CPU-trained is suitable for Debian main.

> Don't doubt. Nouveau can never support CUDA well.

There is coriander but nouveau doesn't support OpenCL 1.2 yet.

https://github.com/hughperkins/coriander

> Some good Xeon CPUs can train models as well,
> and a well optimized linear algebra library
> helps a lot (e.g. MKL, OpenBLAS). But generally
> CPU training takes at least 10x longer time to
> finish. (except some toy networks)

So only toy networks can enter Debian main?

> Sounds like a good way to go. But not today.
> Let's do lazy execution at this point, and
> see how this subject evolves and how other
> FOSS communities think.

Agreed, that sounds reasonable, similar to how repro builds went.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise