Re: Do we want to Require or Recommend DH

    >> - build-depends of debhelper.

    Bernd> gcc also needs a compiler to build - so I think it should be
    Bernd> safe to allow debhelper to build its package using
    Bernd> debhelper. Or am I missing something here?

If we reach consensus on the overall idea, I was planning to ask the
debhelper maintainers whether they thought they needed an exception for
build-depends of debhelper.
Unless you think you have special knowledge there, let's assume we can
handle that question as part of working through details.