Re: Preferred git branch structure when upstream moves from tarballs to git

On Wed, May 01, 2019 at 08:14:24AM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> It's basically useless, since upstream repository is just one command
> away, with the upstream URL documented in debian/rules.

This assumes the upstream URL lives forever.  But what if the upstream
repo's hoster (let's call it "alioth") goes offline?  It's not an unheard
of thing: Gitorious, Google Code, etc...

To me, having the pristine code in a preferred form for modification in the
same place as your packaged version follows the spirit of GPL from 3 decades
ago, or the design of .dsc of 2⅔ decades ago that calls for shipping the
pristine upstream tarball and Debian patches separately.  And today, I
really wouldn't call a flat tarball the preferred form for modification.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁