Re: Preferred git branch structure when upstream moves from tarballs to git

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 9:03 AM Ben Finney wrote:

> My opinionated recommendation: Track the Debian packaging in a separate
> repository (which contains only the ‘debian/’ directory tree). When it's
> time to build the Debian source package for testing, export the upstream
> source to a temporary build directory and export the Debian packaging
> onto that. Build the Debian source package from the result.

I like this option because it still works well if we ever decide to
fix a fundamental flaw in the Debian source package layout. The
directory hierarchy we use is inverted from one that would be logical
based on the relationship between the components of the Debian source
package. The Debian packaging (especially debian/rules) wraps and
controls the interaction of the Debian tools with the upstream source
but the debian/ directory is located inside the upstream source
instead of the upstream source being a subdirectory of the Debian
packaging.

--
bye,
pabs