Re: Preferred git branch structure when upstream moves from tarballs to git

Gard Spreemann <gspr@nonempty.org> writes:

> For one of my packages, I maintain two public git branches: one is
> upstream/latest, where I've been importing upstream's released tarballs,
> and the other is debian/sid that contains the packaging.

> Recently, upstream has finally started using git. What is the
> recommended way for me to maintain a sane branch structure for the
> packaging repository while starting to use upstream's git master as the
> upstream branch to follow?

A lot of people have told you that you have a lot of options, which is of
course true.  But in case you're looking for an opinionated answer rather
than a range of options: in cases like this, I track the upstream master
branch in my repository as master, just as if I had a regular clone of
upstream, and use debian/master (or debian/sid if you want) for the
packaging.

I experimented with a few other approaches, and this one seemed to cause
the least amount of pain.  It means I'm not renaming the upstream branches
when I pull them into my repository (which is possible to do in Git but
tedious and irritating if you get the .git/config runes incorrect or some
tool doesn't pay attention and merges the wrong branch).