Bits from the Release Team: buster freeze update

Hi,

In this issue:
 - Architectures
 - RC bugs status
 - Upgrade testing
 - Release notes
 - Responding to unblock requests

Architectures
=============

Debian buster will ship with the same set of architectures as Debian
stretch did.

RC bugs status
==============

At the time of writing 150 release-critical bugs affect buster. This is the
number which needs to reach zero before the release can take place.

As a reminder, the following changes are eligible for unblocking:

   * Targetted fixes for release-critical (serious and higher) bugs
   * Targetted fixes for severity:important bugs in priority:optional
     packages done via unstable
   * Translation and documentation fixes in conjunction with one of the
     above

Please note that a new upstream release with other changes included does
*not* count as a "targetted fix". You must cherry-pick patches to fix bugs
unless otherwise directed.

As the release draws nearer, fixes for non-RC bugs which do not affect a
package's general usability will increasingly be deferred or rejected.

Upgrade testing
===============

If you are in a position to carry out upgrade testing from stretch to
buster in the field, now is the time to do so and send your feedback as a
bug report against the "upgrade-reports" pseudo-package.

Release notes
=============

Please ensure that any information about your packages which should form
part of the release notes is prepared in plenty of time to allow for review
and translations. Release notes coordination happens in the BTS against the
"release-notes" pseudo-package.

Responding to unblock requests
==============================

We try hard to keep track of all unblock requests, but there are many
opened every day and the queue can sometimes mean you don't get a response
quickly. You can help as follows:

 - we will not usually look at requests tagged "moreinfo". If you follow up
   to a request for information, please remove the tag so that we review it
   again.

 - include as much information, rationale and commentary as you can in your
   original request. We're probably looking at your package for the first
   time and amongst lots of other requests, so the information you provide
   is crucial for proper triaging.

 - don't start discussion about an unblock on the debian-release list or
   #debian-releae, even if you're not sure whether your fix will be
   accepted. Always open a bug and then it can be tracked properly.

 - inclusion of an inline diffstat with commentary plus usage of filterdiff
   to exclude generated files (e.g. autofoo) or translations can be
   beneficial. When using filterdiff, please remember to include the filter
   criteria/the command line, so we know what was omitted.

Finally, please continue to concentrate on RC bug fixes and let's get that
number down to zero and release!

For the release team:
--
Jonathan Wiltshire                                      jmw@debian.org
Debian Developer                         http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51