Re: Please drop anacron from task-desktop

On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 10:11:41PM +0100, Paride Legovini wrote:
> Michael Stone wrote on 07/03/2019:

> cronjobs run even without anacron, they just don't run
> "anac(h)ronistically".

Which means some won't ever run on a 9 to 5 desktop.

> >> Any thoughts on this?
> >
> > What's the downside to having anacron there if a .timer supersedes the
> > cron job?
>
> Having a useless service running is itself a downside; I second the
> removal.

Please explain your usage of the word "useless".

The output of "ls /etc/cron.daily" is not empty for me.

> I'll also mention that anacron has been orphaned almost one
> year ago.

I'll also mention that "has been orphaned" does not imply anthing about
the quality of the package.

4 QA uploads fixing 11 bugs in the BTS.
Compared to 1 upload fixing 1 bug in the BTS in the last
3 years when it was non-orphaned.

A sad truth about Debian is that QA-maintained orphaned packages
are often better maintained than many non-orphaned packages.

And anacron is actually a pretty good example for that.

> Paride

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.