Re: introduction of x-www-browser virtual package

On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 02:19:13PM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 at 13:20:14 +0100, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
> > I could add a sensible-x-www-browser to be more nice to our user to
> > sensible-utils
>
> Please use xdg-open instead of reinventing it. Unlike the alternatives
> system, xdg-open respects the per-user configuration written by our
> default GNOME desktop (and hopefully other desktop environments),

Which raises a question: why does GNOME reinvent this system?

> which
> should be a good way to avoid users getting unexpected behaviour ("I
> configured Firefox to be my default browser, why do I get Chromium?" or
> similar). Unlike the use of $BROWSER in sensible-browser, it doesn't
> require setting an environment variable, which only relatively
> Unix-literate users are going to be able to do.

sensible-utils nicely ask the user on the first try, instead of starting
wine's notepad.exe for text files, or gimp for PostScript.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ Hans 1 was born and raised in Johannesburg, then moved to Boston,
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ and has just became a naturalized citizen.  Hans 2's grandparents