Re: Nix and non-standard-toplevel-dir

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 at 20:28, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> If anything, they probably already know
> how Nix works and are expecting it to use those paths.  There doesn't seem
> to be much drawback in this carefully-chosen lack of compliance with the
> FHS.
>
> I don't think it's worth writing an explicit Policy exception for this,
> since it's a single edge case.  Instead, I think it's a good use of a
> Lintian override documenting what's going on.  Obviously, if Nix becomes
> really popular in the long run, we can then go back and write this into
> Policy.

This also is the case with snapd, which uses `/snap` in all other
distributions. We currently override it, but the issue was brought up
in a bug report.[1] I think the same arguments apply to both Nix and
snapd; but perhaps two is not yet numerous enough to warrant
documenting in policy.

[1]: http://bugs.debian.org/852199

Cheers,
Luke Faraone