Re: GCC and binutils updates for buster

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 05:59:28PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
>  - armel: The armv4t default isn't used very much anymore,

The baseline is armv5te since last year.

> and we had issues in the past.

Could you elaborate on that?

The latest major issue I am aware of was about #727621 and the backport
of the fix.[1] #727621 was not even a regression, this was new
functionality accidentally not provided by gcc on armel.

>  - armhf: While arm-linux-gnueabihf is not explicitly listed as a primary
>    architecture, I'm told that the arm-linux-armeabi triplet covers the
>    hard float variants as well.
>
>  - ppc64el: Not documented as primary architecture, but according to the
>    backend maintainers the powerpc64-linux-gnu triplet includes the le variant.
>
>  - mips*: There is no support for any mips-linux target either as a primary
>    or secondary release architecture (only bare metal), which matches the
>    experience with mips specific issues for the past Debian releases.
>
> I understand that port maintainers want to have their port included as a release
> architecture, however it becomes a burden if neither the upstream nor the Debian
> port maintainers can keep up with the general upstream development. Maybe we
> need something in between the alternatives of being a release arch or not,
> having the benefit of packages in testing/stable, but not being supported in a
> release.

Your theoretical discussion based on upstream definitions misses which
architectures actually have a proven track record of frequent toolchain
problems in recent years.

Any discussion about real problems has to include arm64 as a prime
candidate for demotion - no matter the upstream definition.

We even had last-minute toolchain regressions like #863152, which means
that we cannot rebuild some packages we ship for arm64 in stretch.
Such regressions are a problem both for security support and licence reasons.

The root problem for most actual breakages is that regresssions are
usually not in boring stale old code nobody touches - regressions
tend to be in sexy new code that is under heavy development.

arm64 and mips64el are the most recent of the architectures in stretch.
There is a lot of upstream toolchain development happening for arm64.

These are the reasons why arm64 and mips64el have been a burden
in recent years.

And the next burden will be if riscv64 gets added in bullseye.

I do not have the impression that this burden is unmanageable, but if
you disagree the actual discussion you have to start is about delaying
the inclusion of ports for new hardware in a Debian stable release.

> Matthias

cu
Adrian

[1] Reminds me that I have to check which Breaks are missing for that.

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed