Re: Should the weboob package stay in Debian?

Ben Hutchings - 23.07.18, 02:34:
> On Sun, 2018-07-22 at 23:34 +0200, Romain Bignon wrote:
> > On 22/Jul - 13:14, Geoffrey Thomas wrote:
> > > And, as far as I know, everyone who's replied on this thread
> > > (myself
> > > included) is a man - so I think we should be particularly careful
> > > with "it doesn't bother me."
> >
> > You're right, that's strange that all this men want to tell what is
> > accepted or not by women. I find it infantilizing for them.
>
> Sadly, the Debian community is still almost entirely male.  Those
> women that are here may be afraid to speak up, because they see what
> happens to women with opinions on the Internet.

It would be good if women involved in the Debian project would speak up
here. Of course I understand any hesitance to do so. I felt hesitance
myself often enough, even as what is usually called male.

What would be required to help women to feel more comfortable to post
their opinion on this mailing list? I think it would be beneficial for
the project to improve the current situation, to make clear that women
are welcome. I see the project as the people in the project… everyone
can contribute.

I bet most of the hesitance is due to bad experiences of women in the
past. I do not recall any situation on this list, but I only read a very
small part of it. So there may be some I either do not remember or did
not read. Past experiences do not need to determine the present moment.
There are in the past already.

It is in collective consciousness of our so called civilized western
societies (and likely many other societies as well). So what concrete
steps would help to start shifting that in the direction of more respect
between the different genders?

In the end we are all human beings or expressions of the same one
consciousness in different soul-mind-bodies.

Ciao.
--
Martin