Re: Should the weboob package stay in Debian?

Hi Marc,

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 09:39:51AM +0900, Marc Dequènes (duck) wrote:
> - is it degrading?
>   « These are acts that, even if done by consent, convey a message that
> diminishes the importance or value of all human beings. »
>   This does no apply here as there is no depiction of act or even any
> message.

I think that is a misinterpretation -- naming something is an act too,
which may "convey a message".

(I don't think this is critical though)

> - is it dehumanizing?
>   « These are acts that strip a person or a group of their human
> characteristics. It may involve describing or treating them as animals or as
> a lower type of human beings. »
>   Apart from objectification already discussed, there is no implication that
> woman are only good for sex or any such message.
>   Maybe some of the Weboob authors do not think highly of woman but we're
> discussing the package content and not judging people's thoughts (which we
> cannot be sure to know anyway).

Same here.

> So apart from objectification of women, but without instrumentalization or
> degrading message, I was not able to find serious consequences. As much as I
> would prefer things to be different (I already told upstream in the past) I
> don't feel I have any right or special wisdom allowing me to dictate people
> to act and think differently. Banning content because it displease me and
> make people uncomfortable while no direct harm has been found is unlikely to
> have a positive effect. Consequently unless harmful content I'm not aware of
> is discovered in this package I am not going to remove it from the archive.
> I would consider adding a neutral warning message in the package description
> though, so people can individually decide for themselves if this is
> acceptable from their own point of view.

I think this is an acceptable compromise if upstream is unwilling to
rename things.

> I'll be coming at DebConf this year. Feel free to come and discuss it with
> me.
> \_o<

I won't be, but I'm sure there will be some discussion ;-)

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab