Re: SALSA migration of XML/SGML packages (sgml-data for me)

On Sun, Jul 08, 2018 at 11:20:57PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering what is happening with XML/SGML packages.
>
> I am doing SALSA migration and I realized I need to RFA or Orphan some
> of my packages.  Specifically:
>
>  sgml-data
>  debiandoc-sgml
>  debiandoc-sgml-doc
>  debiandoc-sgml-pt-br
>
> All debiandoc-sgml* packages can be almost safely set to Orphan path.
> (Maybe not for buster but after buster. Debian Policy doesn't use this
> any more.  I will take care them if needed.)
>
> But sgml-data has too many packages depending on it and it is best to
> hand this package to a right person.

RFA sounds appropriate for that, and you can also state in the RFA bug
that anyone intending to adopt it should contact you first.

This being SGML the most likely result would be noone adopting it,
and you could then retitle the WNPP bugs to O later.

How many packages do actually use sgml-data?

translate-docformat depends on it, but I'd assume/hope most actual users
no longer use SGML.

docbook-xml (sic) depends on sgml-data and sgml-base.

All this gives sgml-base impressive popcon numbers, but the actual usage
is likely pretty limited. I'm sure we have users who still need tooling
for SGML, but all this is now more a fringe area of the archive.

> This sgml-data is SGML package so it is most appropriate to be taken
> care by people who were on Debian XML/SGML Group
> <debian-xml-sgml-pkgs@lists.alioth.debian.org>.  I think this is
> unreachable email address by now.  Listing this as maintainer address
> may be RC bug.  That is why I am writing to
> debian-devel@lists.debian.org while CCing recent uploaders of these
> packages to be sure.

Someone took care of that, the list was migrated and is still reachable: