Re: A message from CMake upstream: announcing dh-cmake

On Fri, Jul 06, 2018 at 04:40:44PM -0400, Kyle Edwards wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-07-06 at 21:00 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > If the libraries in question are DFSG-free themselves, there's no
> > DFSG issue and you don't need to remove them from the tarball (and
> > we'd generally encourage not modifying the upstream tarball
> > unnecessarily for upload to Debian).  The policy about bundling is
> > separate from the DFSG. Of course it'd be incumbent on whoever's
> > doing the Debian upload to actually check the licensing status.
>
> Thank you Colin, this is good to know. In that case, I will investigate
> VTK's DFSG issues when I get a chance. If there's something in there
> with a licensing issue, then we as upstream would like to fix it.

Whilst everything Colin wrote is true, there is also the detail that we
do a copyright and license check for every file shipped in the tarball.
If there are too many convenience copies this can easily outgrow the
patience (or more simply the available time) of the maintainer, at which
point repacking the upstream tarball is way simpler, easier and quicker.
It's a convenience call the maintainer decides, but one that IMHO always
ought to be done because with our current tooling removing files from
the upstream tarball is an automated process that takes seconds, where
the license check easily takes much more.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :