Re: Debian Policy 4.1.4.0 released

On Wed, Jul 04, 2018 at 10:26:20PM +0100, Sean Whitton wrote:
> >    Provide get-orig-source target if (and only if) uscan would fail.
> >
> > The previous discussion seem to show a tendency that this bug will be
> > at best tagged wontfix which for the moment prevents me from calling
> > reportbug right now.
>
> It wouldn't be an immediate wontfix because it is not just a proposal to
> revert the change.

May be not immediate but I see no tendency that it has a promising
chance.

> An issue with this proposal is that it might suddenly make a lot of
> packages buggy that don't provide this facility.

I have no record of precious changes in policy but from a pure gut
feeling / wild guessing this might happen with policy changes.

> My suggestion to allow
> README.source might be a good first step towards what you are
> suggesting.

My main point is that README.source is just text and no code that I can
run and test.  That's different from my proposal.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de