Re: Please do not drop Python 2 modules

On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 1:57 PM, Adrian Bunk <bunk@debian.org> wrote:
> The tip of the iceberg are some recent cases where Python 2 modules
> were dropped that still had reverse dependencies in unstable, but
> also for those without there will in many cases be users who will
> still need these modules in buster.

Once a Python2 library has no reverse depends, I see no reason in
general why the Maintainer can't remove the Python2 library. Further,
I think we ought to encourage Maintainers to remove the Python2
libraries.

You and I seem to be clashing a bit often on the issue of when it is
appropriate to remove obsolete packages from Debian. It seems like
some of your resistance is a bit theoretical. It sounds to me like
you're saying don't remove any Python2 libraries because somebody
somewhere might find it inconvenient to need to port some third-party
app to Python3 before 2022. But I think if we had that philosophy, we
wouldn't ever remove anything until identified security concerns force
it out.

Jeremy Bicha