Re: Bits from the release team: full steam ahead towards buster

Matthew Crews dijo [Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 01:10:06PM -0400]:
> On April 18, 2018 9:19 AM, Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@debian.org> wrote:
> > But why would ü not be part of the sorting? Yes, that was my example
> > before you censored my thought process - In Spanish, [áéíóú] and
> > [aeiou] share the same spot while ordering, as do ñ and n, as do u and
> > ü (and we have no further diacriticals). I understand that German
> > sorts äöü at the end.
> >
> > But... Ok, lets stick to 7-bit ASCII as defined. When I was in primary
> > school, "ch" and "ll" were treated as single letters (sorted
> > respectively between "c" and "d", and between "l" and "m". So,
> > thinking with an Ubuntu slant, we would have cow < cheetah < dinosaur
> > and lobster < llama < manatee.
>
> Not speaking as a programmer, but as a native American English
> speaker...
>
> Your example is incorrect sorting behavior in English. Although
> Spanish might sort their words that way, English does not have
> double-character letters; ch and ll are treated as c then h, and l
> then l, for purposes of sorting. Therefore in English, it is correct
> that we sort cheetah < cow < dinosaur, and llama < lobster <
> manatee.
> (...)

Right - I was giving an example where a Latin-alphabet-using language
might sort differently than the C locale.

FWIW I *believe* we don't do that anymore in Spanish. But old
dictionaries did have this behavior. So, point in case – If you want
to sort, use numbers.