Re: Updated proposal for improving the FTP NEW process

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 03:54:29PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Now you seem to be saying
>
>  1 having the same version version number referring to
>    multiple different source versions is completely fine
>       because
>  2 reusing version version numbers should not be forbidden
> I think 1 is false, and does not follow from 2.  I agree with 2, but I
> think reusing version numbers is usually bad and should only be done
> deliberately.

I am not saying that 1 is completely fine in all cases.

But mentors.d.n is a case where deliberately reusing version numbers
is better than having weird changelogs in our archive.

Note that there are also many other situations where you already end up
with different contents under the same version.

An obvious example would be if you put both Debian unstable and
Ubuntu bionic into your sources.list right now:
It might be the majority of packages where you will then see different
binary packages with exactly the same version.

Reusing versions is always bad and must be forbidden if it would result
in two different (source or binary) packages with the same version ever
entering our archive.

What happens outside of our archive (e.g. in Ubuntu or .debian.net)
is nothing we officially provide to our users.

> Ian.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.