Re: Debian Policy 4.1.4.0 released

Andreas Metzler <ametzler@bebt.de> writes:
> Ole Streicher <olebole@debian.org> wrote:
>> Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> writes:
>>> On Sat, Apr 07 2018, Ole Streicher wrote:
> [...]
>
>>> See discussion in #515856.
>
>> Maybe I didn't read it too carefully, but I didn't find the argument why
>> get-orig-source is not kept for the cases where uscan doesn't do the
>> job.
>
>> And when I extrapolate from my packages, this is not an exceptionally
>> rare case.
>
> Imho Sean's last mail sums it up pretty well
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=515856#94

I have read this, but it does not convince me. My rule to get the
upstream packagage was always: use uscan, if d/watch exists, otherwise
use get-orig-source. Sounds pretty simple and straigt-forward. If it
fails, I had a starting point where to debug (usually just a missing
dep). I see no reaso why this should be given up.

Cheers

Ole