Re: Debian part of a version number when epoch is bumped

On 2018-04-02 at 15:41, Simon McVittie wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 at 20:30:54 +0200, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
>
>> I don't understand why everybody is so afraid of an epoch, but ok.
>
> It's a source of confusion (and confusing side-effects) that, once
> added, can never be removed, however many upstream releases might
> happen.

I thought that in theory, if the upstream version later increases to the
point where it would sort above the with-an-epoch version (whether
because it's a date-based version and new versions keep coming out all
the way into the next millennium, or because the upstream version scheme
changes again, or whatever else), the epoch could potentially be dropped
without introducing issues. Is that wrong?

If so, I'd be interested to see an example of a case where problems
would result, because while I can intellectually conceive of there being
such I so far haven't been able to think of any.

--
   The Wanderer