Re: What can Debian do to provide complex applications to its users?

> Minification is quite comparable to compilation. I will give you some
> examples from my frustration with Drupal8 in this answer. This can no
> longer be seen as source code:

I disagree, it is not maintainable source code, yes, but source code
nonetheless. According to wikipedia source code is:

In computing, source code is any collection of computer instructions,
possibly with comments, written using[1] a human-readable programming
language, usually as plain text.

I guess minified source code does qualify. However, this discussion is
mood since the bigger lies in the modules that get included without any
real documentation.

> And it's far from the ugliest example I can quote. Of course, I
> needed
> to ship sources for all of them - Take a look at:
>
>     https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/drupal8.git/tree/deb
> ian/missing-sources/README
>
> And, of course, think about the huge diff that is to be created for
> all of the files in debian/missing-sources.

Agreed this is ugly and I'm all in if we can find a better solution.
but just not having all these applications does not strike me as a
better solution.

> Take this as an example of what is needed for a moderately complex
> PHP
> webapp with lots of JS in it:
>
>     https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/drupal8.git/tree/deb
> ian/copyright
>
> Of course, it was all hand-generated and validated.

And your point being?

> But packaging the precise version that is required in each little
> bump
> is just impossible.

I get your point, I just don't accept the consequence that we should
not package these applications.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes