Re: Maintaining a custom out-of-tree patched Debian kernel for specific hardware

Dear Raju,

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 09:18:06PM +0530, Raju Devidas wrote:
> Hello Kumar,
>
> I took a look at your repository on salsa.
> Before taking a look at your repository I have also taken a look at some
> other repositories on github which had steps for
> supporting Ubuntu on the RDP.
>
> Specially this one.
>
> https://github.com/sundarnagarajan/rdp-thinbook-linux

Indeed. I have adapted the sound and bluetooth configuration in my
repository from that one. The author of that repository has helped me
in getting my ISO remade with all features working.

> Most of the repositories including yours do handle the issue of getting
> custom Debian/Ubuntu installed on Debian with everything working.
>
> And I thank you and others for your work regarding this.
>
> However it does not solve the scenario wherein, if someone has already
> installed Debian or any derivative of it, how do I get things working up
> there?
>
> In my case I have already installed Hamara Sugam on RDP Thinbook 1130.
>
> By following a few steps from Sundar Nagarajan's repository, I have got
> Wi-Fi working.
>
> Sound is not working. Bluetooth works sometimes, sometimes not.
>
> I also tried installing firmware-intel-sound from the firmware-nonfree
> package as suggested by Praveen.
>
> But that didn't solved the issue either.
>

> Let me know of a way which can add support to already installed
> operating systems on the RDP.
>
> Also in your mail you mentioned about your own repo which would be added
> by default on the pre-installed debian systems of RDP.
>
> If I can get the URL of the repo, may be I can get some packages from
> there to make things working.

Currently, I have not made the custom repository. I can share the URL
of my preseeded configuration generated ISO, though that is designed
more for an OEM-style install (it destroys the data on the PC and
recreates a fresh stretch install) and it is still under development
(in sync with my salsa repository).

In you case, my suggestion would be to mail me offline and I can guide
you. But the short story for sound is that you should get the
sound-config.tar.gz from my repository:

https://salsa.debian.org/akumar/debian-installer-rdp-thinbook/raw/master/sound-config.tar.gz

Extract the files to /root and run /root/hardware/sound/install.sh.

For more help, just mail me off-list. Also, I can share the ISO I
build using the above repository; I am not publishing the URL yet
because it is still evolving.

Thanks.

Kumar

--
*** PUBLIC flooding detected from erikyyy
<lewnie> THAT's an erik, pholx.... ;)