Re: What can Debian do to provide complex applications to its users?

W. Martin Borgert dijo [Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 06:59:21PM +0100]:
> If I understand Samuels idea correctly, he likes to have multiple
> versions of the same (JavaScript) library installed on Debian.
> Not "stuff", but proper Debian packages, with all bells and whistles.
> Only that you don't remove necessarily the old version, when the new
> one comes in. Similar to C libraries, kernel, etc. but with a different
> way to actually use the files, of course.
> (...)
> This is very much a web application problem. Other software is
> less affected in my experience.
>
> Maybe we just have to package JS libraries with their version
> number in the package name in the first place?

While I agree with you, just the number of node-.* (1249) or libjs-.*
(398) packages (which tend to fall within this fast-paced development
culture) makes me shiver... Who will maintain them at different
compatibility levels? Even more so if their upstreams have effectively
abandoned them?