Re: Repackaging upstream source with file modifications?

Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox@debian.org> wrote:
> On 12 February 2018 at 10:28, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
[...]
>> My recent attempt to upload grub2 2.02-3 was rejected due to
>> https://bugs.debian.org/745409, which I admit I've been putting off
>> dealing with for a while; but the relevant tag
>> (license-problem-non-free-RFC) was added to the ftpmaster auto-reject

> I believe this tag to be a false positive in this case.

> Whilst RFC text themselves are not-free, the code components of an RFC
> are free under a 3-clause BSD like license.

> I only see code components in the grub2 package and no RFC text.

> http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info/IETF-TLP-5.htm Section 4 License
> to Code Components

Hello,

I do not think so. The respective code is from rfc1952 (May 1996). The
code component exception applies from Nov 2008 onwards.
See https://trustee.ietf.org/copyright-faq.html 5.1:
Afaiui parts from older rfc are unusable.

cu Andreas
PS: I would love to be wrong on this.
so grateful to you.'