Re: Removing packages perhaps too aggressively?

On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 06:39:32PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
Typically a removed package is not in a much worse shape when it got
removed compared to when it was first shipped in a stable release.[1]

At that point the actual question is why we did allow the package
to be ITP'ed into Debian at all.

Well, in a lot of cases better alternatives have come along, or it wasn't originally clear which alternatives would live and which would wither away. And we've all learned a lot more about secure coding in the past 20 years.

I do wish it was easier for users to find out why a package was removed, and that it was more common for the removal log to list alternatives.

Mike Stone