Re: Why do we list individual copyright holders?

Hello,

On Mon, Jan 01 2018, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> writes:
>>  ❦ 1 janvier 2018 11:31 -0800, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> :
>
>>> So that when someone does have a chance to update the package, they
>>> know where to start from when reading the upgrading checklist.
>
>> I never do that and I don't intend to do that in the
>> future. Packaging is already too much time-consuming. My assumption
>> is that I know the policy good enough to just follow the latest
>> version. When packaging for the first time, I won't re-read all the
>> policy either.
>
>> Other answers agree with you, but I believe people not reviewing the
>> checklist won't just tell it here since they may not like being
>> shamed or doctored (not my case, don't worry).
>
> Others may feel differently, but I'd prefer if you just didn't update
> standards version at all for your packages in that case.

Yes, please consider avoiding this.  It has the potential to mislead
others who are tracking down the sources of bugs -- they might assume
that the source of the bug couldn't possibly be that old way of doing
things that recent Policy forbids, for example.

--
Sean Whitton