Re: Testing init.d script

On Wed, 2018-12-26 at 12:09 +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> Unit tests can normally use some kind of temporary test harness
> instead of the full-blown init script, and that's usually the best
> first line of defence since it's typically simpler and faster.
>
> Of course it's also worth testing the init script itself, or other
> behaviours of the package when it's in its installed state rather
> than just running out of the build tree.  For that purpose, have you
> considered autopkgtest (https://ci.debian.net/doc/)?  A test with the
> "needs-root" restriction can start and stop services.

Hey Colin. Thanks for the feedback. I think autopkgtest(1) is a good
route to go if I wanted to test it after the package had been generated
and installed. But this is really the kind of test I'd like to perform
before all of that while still within the build tree.

--
Kip Warner | Senior Software Engineer
OpenPGP signed/encrypted mail preferred