Testing init.d script

Hey list,

I wasn't sure which other Debian mailing list might be more
appropriate, but lsb-discuss appeared to be defunct since 2002.

My package has an LSB friendly init.d script it distributes to manage
the daemon it ships as a system service. I'd like to use it during unit
testing so the daemon can be started, stopped, and various unit tests
performed on it between starting and stopping.

What is the best practice for this kind of scenario? There are some
caveats, of course, because the init.d script cannot be run as root
when my project's build environment runs its unit tests.

Yours truly,

--
Kip Warner | Senior Software Engineer
OpenPGP signed/encrypted mail preferred