Re: usrmerge -- plan B?

On Sun, 2018-12-23 at 16:45:28 +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Sun, 2018-12-23 at 04:06:14 +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > […] They also imply to permanently suffer the aliasing problems.
>
> To expand and clarify a bit on this. We have aliasing in general with
> symlinks and hardlinks, but those tend to not be as problematic when
> aliasing the last component, as they end up referencing the same
> object/inode. The problem really comes when the aliasing is performed
> as part of the pathname (in a "directory" component), because then
> the aliasing references the dentry, which can very easily cause
> "action at a distance" issues.

Hrrmf, clearly not very clear. Let's try again:

  - Aliasing directory components can create multiple source pathnames
    (before any readlink) that refer to the exact same dentry.
  - Aliasing final components means that the source pathnames are
    always different, and as such they always point to different
    dentries, even if they might end up pointing to the same
    destination pathname once canonicalized.

Thanks,
Guillem