Re: usrmerge -- plan B?

On Dec 23, Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> wrote:

> To me it's always been very clear the only *proper* way to deploy
> merged-/usr, is to do the changes to the canonical pathnames on
> each relevant package. Even adding compat symlinks, means that dpkg
> would know about them, and they'd be temporary anyway for the most
> part until any remaining user has been made path relative or its
> absolute path changed.
This is impossibile: it will NEVER be practical to change paths like
/bin/sh and /lib/ld-linux.so.2, so there will always be symlinks in the
root.

>   - the original dpkg-shlibdeps problems was known way ahead of the
>     initial debootstrap switch.
There was an open bug but nobody could reproduce it and the cause of the
problem was not clear at all, at least to me. The adopted solution was
also trivial, so if it was so obvious maybe you could have told
somebody?

>   - the problem with misbuilds was also obvious and mentioned at least
>     on that same dpkg-shlibdeps bug report.
Maybe I missed that too?

>   - the dpkg-query issue (and the aliasing problem in general) has
>     been also known for a while now.
Yes, but since it does not cause practical problems I think that we can
live with it.

--
ciao,
Marco