Re: Conflict over /usr/bin/dune

Resending because
  1. mailing @packages.d.o rather than @packages.qa.d.o
  2. fixed one of the google urls which I broke while
     removing tracking crap

Stéphane Glondu writes ("Conflict over /usr/bin/dune"):
> The "dune" package (of which I am the maintainer) is a popular build
> system for OCaml projects. It is pretty recent, has strong upstream
> support, and more and more projects are switching to it, which is a
> reason to have it in Debian.
>
> It was previously named jbuilder, but has been renamed due to a conflict
> with another software. Upstream is reluctant to rename it again.

This seems quite a striking pair of errors.  `jbuilder' ?  What were
they thinking ?  I know language-specific communities can be a bit
insular but `jbuilder' is obviously absurd for an ocaml build tool.

And then having got into that pickle, what on earth possessed them to
pick the name `dune' ?  Did they learn at all from their mistake and
think about this at all ?  Do even the briefest of checks ?  Even if
they couldn't be bothered to do a Debian file search,

 https://www.google.com/search?q=dune+software
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(software)
 https://www.google.com/search?q=%2Fusr%2Fbin%2Fdune

Under the circumstances it seems obvious that, at the very least, the
ocaml build tool should not be allowed the name /usr/bin/dune.

Ian.