Would be possible to have a ".treeinfo" file added to the installers' page?

Howdy!

Firstly, sorry if I'm sending the message to the wrong mailing list.
If that's the case, please, point me to the right one.

Although the subject says it all, let me explain the background of the
change so you all can get the idea of why it'd help a few projects
and/or even come up with a better solution than adding a  ".treeinfo"
file.

I'm one of the maintainers of libosinfo[0], which is a project that,
basically, keeps info about OSes as such: the hardware they support,
the location for downloading ISOs, the location of online installation
trees, the minimum/recommended/maximum resources for an OS, scripts
for automating "JEOS"/"Desktop" installations and so on.

One of the APIs provided by libosinfo is to guess an OS from its
online installation tree and it's easily done by a treeinfo file like
the ones that can seen here[1], here[2] and here[3]. For the Debian
case however, as the ".treeinfo" file is not used, we're struggling
about having a reliable way to guess the OS from its tree because we
didn't find a specific file that we could try to inspect in order to
decide whether the installation tree is for debian7, debian8, debian9,
debian-testing ...

We also face the very same issue with Ubuntu's installation trees and
when approached they told us to firstly contact Debian and they'd be
happy to take the same direction taken by Debian.

So, would be possible to have the ".treeinfo" file added to the
installers' page? Is there any suggestion on any other path we could
take from our side?

[0]: https://libosinfo.org/
[1]: http://download.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/distribution/leap/15.0/repo/oss/.treeinfo
[2]: http://mirror.vutbr.cz/fedora/releases/29/Server/x86_64/os/.treeinfo