Re: Is using experimental distribution for shelter during freeze useful?

On 11/27/18 12:38 PM, Hideki Yamane wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Well, we use experimental as "shelter" during freeze, but it's not good
>  in my point of view.
>
>  - During freeze, it is just ignored by most of the users since they
>    wouldn't know there's a newer package in there (and they also afraid
>    because it's in "experimental" ;). It means "not tested" if they were
>    in Debian repository for a long time period
>  - Re-uploading to unstable is just boring, and no values are added by it
>  - unstable users wants new valued packages constantly. After release,
>    "package flood" to unstable is not good.
>
>  So, I guess putting fixed packages into "testing-proposed-updates" and
>  to continue to upload packages to unstable during freeze period is better.
>
>  Pros)
>  - unstable distribution stays newest
>  - No "unintended" changes will be introduced into testing during freeze
>
>  Cons)
>  - Maybe you should do cherry-picking changes from unstable to
>    testing-proposed-updates, not just ask "unblock" to Release Managers.

The process would stay the same, just instead of uploading to unstable
during the freeze, we would upload to t-p-u.

>  - Harder to get users for test with testing-proposed-updates repository

Nothing would prevent one from uploading to both t-p-u and sid.

I very much support this proposal, but we're probably too close from the
freeze already, and this would probably also need some work on the
release team and/or FTP master side. If you want this to happen, maybe
you should get in touch with both teams directly and do the work *after*
buster is released? Anyway, they would tell...

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)